Global Environment Facility Evaluation Office (GEFEO) developed Climate-Eval with the support of its partners as a key component of the follow-up efforts of the International Conference on Evaluating Climate Change and Development.
Climate-Eval is the online platform of the broader "community of practice (CoP) on climate change and development evaluation" whose objectives include the following:
- an electronic library for Climate Change and Development Evaluation
- a book launch and publication of the International Conference papers, "Evaluating Climate Change and Development" (published and available to order)
- five studies on climate change adaptation and mitigation and
- the development of a website to host discussions as virtual discussion platforms.
It supports capacity building and facilitates communication, and serves as the springboard of the CoP by providing up-to-date information on climate change and development evaluation. The website promotes active debate on climate change and development evaluation by bringing relevant topics to a peer-to-peer discussions.
The forums tackle specific questions relevant to climate change and development evaluation and serve to solicit members' ideas and inputs to validate the five studies on climate change that are developed as part of the two year work plan. Two of these studies will be done on climate mitigation:
- Meta-Evaluation of Mitigation Evaluations
- Preparation of Guidelines for Mitigation Evaluation
while three studies will be on climate adaptation:
- Study of Frameworks for Adaptation
- Preparation of Indicators for Adaptation
- Preparation of 2nd Generation Guidelines on Adaptation Assessment
The intended outcomes of these initiatives are as follows:
Climate Change Mitigation
- A common framework for evaluation mitigation efforts in climate change and development.
- A common framework for Information repository on state-of-the-art guidelines and best practices e.g. market transformation.
- Discussion forum and mechanisms on key topics e.g. reduction of GHG emissions.
- Exchange mechanisms and build up of experiences in carbon trading.
Climate Change Adaptation
- Improved concepts and frameworks for evaluating adaptation efforts related to climate change and development.
- Information repository on state of the art guidelines and best practices.
- Mechanisms for the exchange of information, experiences and recent developments.
- Mechanisms to mainstream adaptation across a number of sectors.
- Learning from success stories across different contexts e.g. M&E in Nepal, Sudan.
- Common set of judgment criteria and indicators which have been proven useful (and reference to evaluation in which they have been used)
- Improved links to the larger community of evaluators of environmentally sustainable development.
The ultimate purpose of these activities combined is to deliver high quality monitoring and evaluation products "best practices, guidelines, frameworks and indicators" validated by the global Climate-Eval community of practice. Climate-Eval serves to challenge and disseminate evaluation information and knowledge, and to identify the dynamic demands of practitioners, researchers and evaluators, by focusing on a member-based management system of relevant resources. In particular, these efforts aim to increase learning capacity on climate change and development in developing countries and countries with emerging economies.
Climate-Eval looks forward to your valuable inputs to promote discussion and knowledge sharing and we encourage your active participation by becoming a member.
For questions, comments and suggestions, please email the Climate-Eval Community Moderator based at the Global Environment Facility Evaluation Office.